Partner with Reisman Karron Greene LLP
Ms. Theis has significant experience with many facets of mass torts.
As Special Master of Wave Discovery in In re 3M Combat Arms Earplug Products Liability Litigation, MDL 2885, Ms. Theis oversees the expedited case-specific discovery of several concurrent waves each consisting of hundreds of cases. She coordinates with both plaintiff and defense leadership to facilitate the orderly and efficient completion of discovery. Ms. Theis also mediates case-specific discovery disputes as they arise.
Ms. Theis’s practice has primarily been focused on mass tort resolution and settlement. As national settlement counsel and as a neutral, Ms. Theis has experience negotiating, structuring, and administering settlements, ranging from resolution of individual cases to aggregate settlements. Ms. Theis has been responsible for analyzing complex scientific concepts and evaluating claims in order to develop compensation matrices and to facilitate the equitable allocation of settlement funds. She has also worked with lien administrators and bankruptcy trustees to help usher settlements to completion.
Finally, Ms. Theis has experience with MDL common benefit fund administration. She has assisted in creating systems and processes for attorney common benefit time and expense submission, overseen the development of common benefit budgets, and monitored common benefit contributions, expenditures, and work. She also has assisted with evaluating attorney MDL contributions for the allocation of common benefit awards.
During her free time, Ms. Theis enjoys playing Euchre, watching horror movies, and cooking for friends.
• Appointed by U.S. District Judge Casey M. Rodgers of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida as Special Master overseeing Wave discovery in In re 3M Combat Arms Earplug Products Liability Litigation, MDL 2885.
• Assists Special Master Ellen Reisman in evaluating claims and allocating settlement funds, including appeal awards, to plaintiffs in various settlements related to hernia mesh products.
• Assisted Common Benefit Special Master Ellen Reisman in In re Abilify (Aripiprazole) Products Liability Litigation, MDL 2734 with the allocation and administration of plaintiffs’ common benefit fund.
• Assisted Special Master Ethan Greene in evaluating claims and allocating settlement funds, including appeal awards, to plaintiffs in a private settlement alleging personal injury and wrongful death claims in the GM Ignition Switch Litigation.
• Counseled national automotive company regarding settlement of product liability claims.
• Represents Endo Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and American Medical Systems, Inc. in settlement of pelvic mesh product liability actions in multi-district litigation in federal district court and developed processes to administer aggregate settlements efficiently.
• HarrisMartin’s MDL Conference, July 2019, panel member
o Settlement Issues for the Plaintiff and the Defense
o Instructive Guidance for Navigating Today’s Mass Tort Landscape
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
• Selected for Washington DC Rising Stars list 2017-2020
EDUCATION AND PRIOR EXPERIENCE
• B.A. 2006, Haverford College
• J.D. 2009, University of Michigan Law School, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
• Law Clerk, Hon. Noël Anketell Kramer, District of Columbia Court of Appeals (2010-2011)
• Associate, Arnold & Porter LLP 2010, 2011-2015 (Washington, D.C.)
Ms. Theis is admitted to the bars of Michigan and the District of Columbia.
Register today to see an exclusive list of speakers and hear captivating new information about the landscape of mass tort law.
If I’m registered for the conference will I automatically get my CLE Credits?
No. You must sign out at the Registration/CLE desk before departing the conference.
What do I need in order to sign up for CLE?
You need to have your Bar number for all states in which you would receive credit.
What if I cannot attend the whole conference? Can I receive partial credit?
Yes. When you sign out at the end of your last day, you will indicate the number of hours/days that you actually attended.
Do I need to send my Certificate of Attendance to the state bar(s) or will Trial Lawyers of Mass Torts report my attendance to them?
Each individual attorney will need to file their own CLE credits.